Wednesday 20 November 2013

Where can I buy them?

Now we know how to set up a small DIY Solar generator system and the type of solar panel, the next question will be where can we buy them in Singapore?

I have made many trips to Sim Lim Square and Sim Lim Tower during my lunch hours. At first I saw a 10W mono-crystalline panel selling for $50 in Sim Lim Tower. That works out to be $5 per watt which is way too expensive. I remembered reading from Internet that the price of solar cells has fallen from $4 per watt to $2 per watt. So I continued searching and came across one shop in Sim Lim Tower level three selling for $3.80 per watt. Still too expensive. I continued to search and found one shop at Sim Lim Tower level one selling their panel for $3 per watt. That was the lowest I can find in Sim Lim Tower and Sim Lim Square.

I almost bought the 90W panel from Sim Lim Tower at $270 until I came across a thread in Hardwarezone forum.




There was this guy, nick name Market98 selling the 30W mono-crystalline panel for $54 or $1.80 per watt. 

I later came to know him as Francis, a friendly and honest guy. He is operating from his fish/aquarium shop at No. 9 Pasir Ris Farmway 2, lot 35 block C Unit 3. (Opposite No.8). He opens daily from Noon to 6pm and Sat/Sun/PH: 9am to 6pm. You can contact him at Tel: 6581 6220. Pls call before you go there as sometime he is out running errant. 

Another guy I came across in Hardwarezone forum is by the nick name Tanericash. I think he is an hobbyist turn dealer. He was selling the 30W Poly-crystalline panel for $1.60 per watt. You can reach him by PM him in Hardwarezone forum. He also carries a standing DC fan which I am interest in.

So far, these are the 2 people that I think offer the best DIY solar min system in town. If you happen to come across even better deal, do drop me an email.

You can also explore ebay or Deal Extreme and purchase some of the component online. For Solar panel and battery, I think it is still better to purchase locally due to their weight and shipping charges.

I hope this will help you get started in experimenting with solar energy harvesting.
Do bookmark my blog and visit often and stay tune for future posting.
Cheers!


20 comments:

  1. Hi Chee Hui,

    Do you mind doing a post of how did you set up the solar system in your house? I want to build my own system but I do not know what parts I need and where to connect them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    For off-grid system, you can check my post on "Basic DIY Solar system setup".

    For grid-tie system, which I recommend, it is quite simple.
    1st, connect the output of your solar panels to the input of a grid-tie inverter (DC). Next connect the output of the grid-tie inverter (AC) to your wall socket.
    Just need to make sure that the output voltage of the solar panel and the input of the inverter is compatible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chee Hui,

      Thanks for your information, I missed that post while I was scrolling through your website just now.

      For the tie-grid system, do we need a solar charge controller or a battery to store the electricity?

      Delete
  3. For grid-tie system, you do not need solar charge controller and battery to store the electricity. The electricity generated will pump back into the grid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chee Hui,

    I see. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chee Hui,

    I am interested in grid tie set up. Intend to put two solar panels behind window glass (with solar film but sunlight is v strong) and wondering what type of panels that are light enough and how to mount it securely. After mounting, we do not intend to open these two windows any more. As for the inverter, is it suitable to be placed on tv console, due to space constraint? Do we need to prop the inverter up, so that there is air flow below it??
    Can we have two grid tie set up in the same HDB flat? My son's room is facing the full blast of the afternoon sun??

    Kindly advise and comment.

    Regards, Michael Chiang

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michael,
    You can install either flexible panel or normal panel. Normal panel is more cost effective. You can use cable tie or bolts and nuts to secure the panel to the window grill. You would still be able to close your windows after that. I will would suggest that you remove the solar film as it would greatly impact the performance. You can use 2 sets of grid tie inverter. It is OK to place the inverter on TV console without propping up. Please buy the grid tie inverter with MPPT function for better results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michael,
    You can install either flexible panel or normal panel. Normal panel is more cost effective. You can use cable tie or bolts and nuts to secure the panel to the window grill. You would still be able to close your windows after that. I will would suggest that you remove the solar film as it would greatly impact the performance. You can use 2 sets of grid tie inverter. It is OK to place the inverter on TV console without propping up. Please buy the grid tie inverter with MPPT function for better results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michael,
    You can install either flexible panel or normal panel. Normal panel is more cost effective. You can use cable tie or bolts and nuts to secure the panel to the window grill. You would still be able to close your windows after that. I will would suggest that you remove the solar film as it would greatly impact the performance. You can use 2 sets of grid tie inverter. It is OK to place the inverter on TV console without propping up. Please buy the grid tie inverter with MPPT function for better results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chee Hui,

      Thank you for your reply and advice. Can you share the brand of grid tie inverter that you are using? I am thinking, that the brand you are using should be ok, so i will get same brand as well. Just my cave man mentality only.

      Regards,

      Michael Chiang

      Delete
  9. Hi Chee Hui,

    Thanks again.

    Regards,
    Michael Chiang

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Make the most of mainly premium substances - you will find him or her for:
    best-solar-generator

    ReplyDelete