Friday 25 April 2014

Solar Car Battery Charger

I own a small 1.1L car, Kia Picanto. I replaced my previous battery 6 months ago when it was about 2 year old and occasionally having difficulty in cranking up the engine. My car was then slightly more than 2 years to go before my COE expires in Feb 2016. I hope the new battery can last me more than 2 years so I do not have to get another one before Feb 2016.

Therefore topping up the battery charges to it's optimum and fullest potential becomes very important for me. I bought a 4.5W solar car battery charger (picture on the right) from DealExtreme to try out and regretted about it because it was under power and would take weeks to top up my battery to its fullest.

It comes with a cigarette lighter adapter with an LED indicator when there is enough sunlight to charge the battery. But I discovered that the circuitry to power the LED pulls down the voltage so much that it left with not enough voltage (below 12V) to charge the battery.

I ended up connecting it directly to the battery terminals and later on added a PWM charge controller because I was worrying of over voltage as I measured 19+V open circuit from the solar panel.




As I mentioned, 4.5W is too small that it will take weeks to top up my battery. The battery status of my 10A PWM solar charge controller always shows red in the morning before I crank up my car engine. I ended up purchasing a few 10W semi-flexible poly-crystalline solar panels from eBay and here's a short video of the 10W panel with 10A PWM charge controller.



With this Solar car battery charger, I now have the peace of mind that my car battery will always be top up to its fullest potential and will prevent lead sulfate from building up on the battery plates which will shorten the life span of the battery.

I have also added 2 10W panels to bring the total wattage to 30W so that it can top up the battery everyday.


11 comments:

  1. At Nicholls Group, we have a team of fully trained and accredited technicians and engineers to deliver the best designs and installations of solar power systems at your home or business. With over 20 years of industry experience, we can guarantee your system is running at peak performance every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a well executed post. I like the diagram most. It is a helpful informative post. Thanks for sharing this great information.
    Solar kits south africa

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a chance you are qualified for a new solar energy rebate program.
    Find out if you are qualified now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Solar Power is considered as the new energy for us and it is green power for the environment. We should encourage more people using it in the life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi fellas,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to read more about that solar lights I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the blog. Kinetik HC600 BLU Series 12 Volts car battery is sealed with absorbed glass mat design, and you can even use it as your vehicle standard battery. Get more information visit:PowerGenixSystems

    ReplyDelete
  8. This written work has imparted a specific trust in the group of onlookers.
    top-10-best-car-battery-chargers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strange "water hack" burns 2lbs overnight

    At least 160 thousand men and women are hacking their diet with a simple and secret "liquid hack" to lose 2lbs every night while they sleep.

    It is easy and it works with everybody.

    This is how to do it yourself:

    1) Get a glass and fill it up half glass

    2) And now learn this proven hack

    so you'll be 2lbs lighter when you wake up!

    ReplyDelete